Wednesday, April 12, 2006

AROUND THE WEB ON 4-12-06

Cross-posted from Gus Van Horn

It is time to attack Iran.

Martin Lindeskog and I agree that the time to knock out Iran's incipient nuclear capabilities is now.

And Amit Ghate points out a superb Mark Steyn article on that very subject.
[W]e face a choice between bad and worse options. There can be no "surgical" strike in any meaningful sense: Iran's clients on the ground will retaliate in Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, and Europe. Nor should we put much stock in the country's allegedly "pro-American" youth. This shouldn't be a touchy-feely nation-building exercise: rehabilitation may be a bonus, but the primary objective should be punishment -- and incarceration. It's up to the Iranian people how nutty a government they want to live with, but extraterritorial nuttiness has to be shown not to pay. That means swift, massive, devastating force that decapitates the regime -- but no occupation.

The cost of de-nuking Iran will be high now but significantly higher with every year it's postponed. The lesson of the Danish cartoons is the clearest reminder that what is at stake here is the credibility of our civilization. Whether or not we end the nuclearization of the Islamic Republic will be an act that defines our time. [bold added]
In a reply to a comment on my blog posted, presumably, by one of these youths, I had this to say.
My life is being threatened by the activities of your government, which seems intent on causing some kind of military confrontation. My choice is either to let your government threaten my life and those of the ones I love -- or support a war to defeat it.

This is a choice your leaders are forcing me to make. I choose to live, knowing full well that decent people like you -- people probably very much like me in many ways -- will die as my country defends my life.

If you understand this, then you will see why you must redouble you efforts to depose the regime in Iran or, if that is not possible to you, to flee.

You have my sympathy, but I cannot allow my sympathy to cost me my own life. [bold added]
We Americans can be generous to a fault. This last point is especially important for some of us to remember and for others to realize now. We simply cannot fool ourselves into thinking that any goodwill we might naturally feel towards the Iranian people will be met with anything besides nuclear and terrorist attacks from the government they have not removed from power in more than a quarter century.

2006 World Cup Hosted by Saudis, Delegated to German Dhimmis

Until the West decides to stand up for itself, it is going to be impossible, apparently, even to read news reports about what should be an enjoyable event without hearing about how the Moslems insist on how it should be done.
The German resort town of Bad Nauheim is doing everything they can to accommodate the wishes of their new overlords: Hotel cleans up for Saudis.
Photos of naked women are being removed from the Hotel's health spa. I guess the Germans are basing how they submit to their overlords on the fact that there was no rioting in Indonesia over the recently-lamented lack of nudity in the Moslem version of Playboy.

Interesting what kinds of pictures make the blood of a Moslem "man" boil, isn't it?

Just Asking...

Why doesn't Blogger's spell checker recognize "blog" and terms based upon it? Grrr!

Submarine History

Bubblehead wishes our submarine force a happy 106th birthday.

Lubber's Line marks the 43rd anniversary of the loss of the USS Thresher.

Automobile lovers, take note!

Submarine blogger Alex Nunez informs me that he'll be live-blogging the media preview of an auto show in NYC at his other blog today and tomorrow.
I will be covering the NY Auto Show media preview days tomorrow and Thursday at my carblog, NoonzWheels (URL below). Please check in periodically for the latest on the goings-on at the show. I will actually be on site as a credentialed member of the media, and it should be pretty fun (I even get to graze on the reporter food in the media center). If you're into cars at all, please stop by.
Veksler on Immigration

While I do not agree with David Veksler's opposition to the idea of citizenship, but I thought he made some very good points in this comparison of immigrants from dictatorships to escaped American slaves.
I am referring primarily to the Cuban, but also the Chinese, Haitian, and many other immigrants who are denied entry or forced to return to dictatorships. Some are political activists seeking freedom of expression, but most simply do not wish to live as property of the state, and will do anything to live as free men and women.

These would-be immigrants have shown by their actions than they are far better Americans than most people born in the U.S. While most Americans don't even bother to vote, they abandon their entire life and culture and often risk everything to embrace the American dream. Upon coming to America, they are usually far more successful than their native born-counterparts. By any rational standard of justice, these immigrants deserve to be here far more than the millions of welfare slobs, America-hating hippies and intellectuals, and all the union workers and assorted privileged moochers who believe that their livelihood comes from a divine birthright rather than the unbridled genius and hard work of self-made men.
Cox and Forkum illustrated the point made in the second paragraph very well recently.

Last (Booty) Call!

It looks like my state representative, Al "Booty Call" Edwards, is on his way out the door.

And I know where he shouldn't let it hit him on the way out!

JAP DIP

"Just Another Peaceful Day in Islamic Paradise." Here are three developments I ran across this morning without even looking for them.
  1. A deadly terrorist bombing has killed dozens in Pakistan. (HT: Michelle Malkin)
  2. Islamists are in a power struggle with the secular military in Turkey.
  3. An Egyptian web site has posted a "hit list" of Moslem apostates, which includes some prominent Westerners.
I'm sure there's more, but I haven't got all day.

To end on a light note...

I really enjoy reading Toiler's descriptions of the writer's life at Acid Free Paper. Even when he discusses writer's block!

-- CAV

No comments:

Post a Comment