Saturday, July 10, 2004

EGO BLOG IS NOT BURNED OUT...YET...

Here is an excerpt from Daniel Terdiman's article, Bloggers Suffer Burnout:

Blogging for some is an obvious labor of love, and having a forum that belongs to them and enables them to write whatever they want, and have it seen by throngs of readers, is a very attractive proposition. This is especially true because blogging is a timeless endeavor and one that allows authors to vent about whatever's on their minds. (Wired News, 07/08/04.)


Glenn Reynolds comments on his blogging:

It's a major effort. For me, it's still a fun effort, but it's nonetheless a lot of work.


I wrote on this issue in my post, DEPRESSING NEWS COVERAGE. Here is an excerpt:

I still enjoy blogging and I will continue to blog as long as I think it is fun and I get something out of it. I will soon have my second blogiversary. I have enjoyed the comments and feedback I get from my posts, and I have met several individuals online who I share the same core-values with. I look forward to meet some of them on my future trip to the Land of Opportunity - America. I am in one way, "journalistic" speaking, pessimistic about the future of the world, but philosophically, I am more positive about the future to come. That's why I will continue to be an "armchair general" and fight the battle of ideas. On a personal note, my life is guided by an integrated system of ideas, and I am seeking the pursuit of happiness by achieving my values. (EGO, 04/14/04.)


I am sorry to see that one of my virtual "neighbors" (@ Cox & Forkum's blogroll), Rachel Lucas, has decided to stop blogging.  [UPDATE 07/18/04: Great news! Rachel Lucas is back with "piquant rants & sassy impudence."]

Wayne Hurlbert is trying to come to a conclusion why we blog, in his post, Bloggers: Who are we anyway?

So after all of that, then, who and what are bloggers anyway?

Bloggers are believers in conveying thoughts and ideas in written form, to other people, on an individual basis.

It would be safe to say that bloggers are communicators of individual freedom of thought, speech, and the press. Along with that individual freedom is the right to agree or to disagree with others. (Blog Business World, 07/08/04.)


I am thinking of including different "memes" from time to time, e.g. quizzes, "quotes of the day," cat blogging and other types of photoblogging, audioblogging, et cetera. I will publish this kind of "lighter" blog posts now and then, as a way to prevent burnout.


I found a site called Blogliners ("fresh inspiration daily") via Just A Girl.


- Two by Two -
Name two things in each category that no one's life should be without:
songs, literature, movies, poems, snack foods, places, websites.


You will find some of my choices from my Blogger user profile.

* Songs: Samba de Uma Nota Só and It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing).
* Literature: Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.
* Movies: Chocolat and The Winslow Boy.
* Poems: The Thinker and If.
* Snack foods: Frito Lay's honey and mustard pretzels and Blair's Habanero chips.
* Places: Empire State Building, New York City, NY, and Leaf & Vine, Troy, OH.
* Websites: Google News and Cox & Forkum.

I will "mix up" things by adding clippings with a twist to EGO clip blog (powered by the newly redesigned aggregator Bloglines). In the first batch of clippings you will find the following:
~ Dutch enlist Elvis for EU reforms.
~ Defiant pub flouts new Irish smoking ban.
~ Sex Blogger Turned Author.
~ Weblogging, The Trees Fight Back.

One of the things that is keeping this blog running, is the advertising. Thanks to the folks who have sponsored this blog by placing Blogads. The money goes to buy stuff, e.g. books, magazines, and electronic newsletters, and thereby adding new intellectual fuel and energy for future blogging.

Spoons has a dilemma:

Blogads are great, and I've made more from them than I really expected, but the downside is, they make it just about impossible to take a blog break.
Ideally, I'd like to take about 2 weeks off at the moment, but with blogads, that'd be cheating my advertisers. Hmmm.


I think that Jeff Jarvis has described a solution to the problem, in his post, How do we measure up?

We need to define new metrics. This medium isn't about impressions; it's about relationships; it's about conversations; it's about influence; it's about authority. We are starting to measure how many conversations a blog starts (or at least takes part in) with Technorati. But it's just a beginning.


I think you could have a win-win situation if you look at the advertising issue as an exchange of ideas and an opportunity of a "two-way street" communication.

With that said, it is time for a short summer vacation and blog break for maybe a day or so... ;) So long & "hasta la vista, baby"! Don't worry, "I will be back"...
 
[UPDATE 07/18/04: Great news! Rachel Lucas is back with "piquant rants & sassy impudence."]

No comments:

Post a Comment